On May 11, 1955, Lino Lakes was incorporated from all of Centerville township except the cities of Centerville and Circle Pines. Lino Lakes history is combined with that of Centerville since prior to incorporating it was included with the township of Centerville.
The western part of town was known as the “German” settlement and was first settled in 1850 by F.W. Travis on Sec. 19 and was followed five years later by Henry Wenzel. The eastern part of town was known as the “French” settlement and its first settlers in 1852 were: Francis Lamott, F.X. LaVallee, Peter Cardinal, Charles Pelter, Joseph Houle, A. Gervais, Oliver Dupre, Joseph Forcier, Paul and Liver Peltier, Stephen Ward and L. Burkard.
In 1854 Charles Peltier built a sawmill on Clearwater Creek near the village. After five years he abandoned the business.
The area was divided into three school districts: the first school (1854-55) was a six month term, held in the F.X. LaVallee house. It was then held in the church until 1865 when the schoolhouse was built, School District #20 was organized 1868 and the schoolhouse was built the same year on Sec. 17, Dist #46 was organized in 1880 and the school was in a log building on Sec. 11. The first officers were: Oliver Peltier, Francis Lamott, Charles Peltier, Stephen Ward; Treas; and Francis Lamott, Justice.
In 1955 a committee and Town Board began proceedings for incorporation and selecting a name for the village.
They took the historic name Lino and because of the ten lakes within the area added Lakes and came up with Lino Lakes.
The office of mayor was held by Arnold Kelling. Other offices were held by: William Kammerer, Emil Erickson and Roy P. Houle as trustees; Treas; Elmer Krueger cler, Harry Proulx; assessor, Emily Rehbein, justices, Guy A. Tesjard and Harry B. Berg; constanables; Vernon Johnson, Vernon Billick and James Livingston.